Sunday, March 15, 2015

Wine at Home 2: Bay Bridge

This week was spring break so I thought it was a good time to try some "two buck chuck" wines that my roommate loves. The wines are actually $2.99 and all made by Bay Bridge a California winemaker.


As a note I will review each wine separately giving both my impression of the wine and the description from the winemaker themselves. Following that I will rate each wine on a scale [-2, 2]. Where:

-2: Bad wine, undrinkable

-1: Disliked, but drinkable

 0: Okay wine, neither disliked or liked

 1: Good wine, might buy

 2: Great wine, definitely will buy


Wine #33

Name: Bay Bridge White Zinfandel 
Variety: White Zinfandel
Region: California
Country: United States
Year: 2014
Price: $2.99

Wine review: Pale pink hue. Subdued strawberry nose. A soft entry leads a gentle, light-bodied palate with supple acidity. Modest sweetness is balanced by acidity through the finish. Not overly flavorful, but pretty well balanced. 




My review:  A very plain nose, with some small floral notes. This wine is very closed on the nose even for most non red wines that I have had. Floral components carrying through the nose onto the pallet. A very sweet Hibiscus and soured cherry type flavors when you drink it. Although is is a light sweet wine it has a heavier body than you would expect or frankly want.

This is the type of wine that will offend no one but will find it hard to please anyone next to other wines.

Rating: -.5


Wine #34

Name: Bay Bridge Moscato
Variety: Muscat
Region: California
Country: United States
Year: 2014
Price: $2.99

Wine review: The nose was pear and some apple, not much else. Maybe a little mineral. The flavor was pears and some grassy notes. A hint of butter and some mineral. very green. Not much finish. Drinkable, but nothing spectacular about it. probably not something i will purchase again.




My review:  Sweet on the nose from a fruity smell that resembles pears that are just slightly over ripened. This Moscato exhibits other fruit flavors of pear, blueberry, and raspberry on the nose. This follows through on the taste, exhibiting a citrus zing of acid from a lemon. This was refreshingly light and crisp. Like a sweeter pear cider, a definite crowd pleaser.

Rating: .5


Wine #35

Name: Bay Bridge Cabernet Sauvingnon
Variety: Cabernet Sauvingnon
Region: California
Country: United States
Year: 2014
Price: $2.99

Wine review: Deep ruby color. Red berry, fruit gum, and spiced nut aromas. A brisk entry leads to a fruity medium body of berry jam and pencil flavors. Finishes with a quick powdery tannin fade. An easy going quaffer for picnics.




My review:  While not as bold, complex, or interesting as other red wines. The bay bridge Cab seems to be a good wine for someone who is just starting to get into reds. It has a fruit forward nose with some blackberry and current flavors. Drinking it you start to see the same flavors but also with some plum added in to round it out. Its mid pallet to finish is where you can find some small tannins accompanying some bitterness. 

Overall, it is sweeter than expected and while its not excellently crafted it is at least a solid attempt.

Rating: .5

4 comments:

  1. thanks for this! the bay bridge label says nothing about if the moscato is sweet or flavored, thanks for helping me decide!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the cab may be just a tiny bit on the sweet side (compared to wines multiple the price). I find it pleasing to my palate, never bitter or offensive, & always in stock @ $2.99 at my local Kroger's. I guarantee you that a blind tasting will fool many a wine (snob) aficionado!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mark, great reviews. I was searching for reviews or anything about the Bay Bridge Cabernet Sauvignon considering I got myself a bottle the other day and felt that it made me feel ill after only consuming 1 cup. I did not become intoxicated, I simply feel very nauseous and had diarrhea after consuming it. Could've just been the one bottle I got but I just wanted to let you know, not a wine expert but it made me scared.

    ReplyDelete